Thursday, April 12, 2007

A Discovery While Running

I went running yesterday and made a spectacular discovery: a 30 ft change in elevation!! less than a mile from camp!!!! If you've seen pictures of this place you understand my excitement. Today I went running again to explore, this time taking a more direct route and my camera.

You can hardly tell this elevation change exists untill you are 100m from it. As you approach it, the setting goes from - well - ugly, to one of the most beautuful I've ever seen. It's like a playground of strange rock formations. The rocks have a distinct texture. Jagged swiss cheese is the best descriptor I can come up with. I had an excellent time taking tons of pictures of landscapes, rocks, textures, trees, plants, camel poo, and myself. And I have plenty more pictures to take. The dropoff rambles northwest and southeast as far as I can see in either direction. To the northwest the elevation change looks like it gets deeper and more dramatic, AND to the southeast there is what might be a small village huddled against the edge. So I have material for further exploration, and for pushing myself to run longer distances.

I'm just so happy. This made my day. I never knew how exciting a 30 foot drop in elevation could be.



No comments: