Its wierd living in a hotel. I've kind of wanted to try after watching the movie Lost in Translation. I just got back from foraging for breakfast. Success!.. I aquired some napkins, teabags and butter. Along with that a couple bread rolls pocketed at dinner. Too bad I lost my tiny jar of marmalade swiped from yesterdays breakfast buffet, or tomorrows breakfast would have been a perfect. You see, I'm not yet sure if my company is paying for hotel food.
On another food related note, they served snails for lunch today in the company cafeteria. Not fancy snails separated from their shell and cooked in butter in a fine restaraunt with a glass of wine on the side. No, these snails looked like they had been picked up off the ground, lightly rinsed, thrown in a steamer for 10 minutes and then put on my plate to cool. They still had moss and bits of seaweed on the shell. They still had that hard covering plate that protects them when they retract back into their shell. They were firmly stuck in their shell too. After seeing me struggle, a random french guy in the cafeteria recommended I use a toothpick to get them out... but when I tried, they broke the toothpick, that is how stuck they were. I had to get a good stab and pry on them with a metal fork. When I did succeed, they were really good. Like an extra meaty clam.
After my lunch of snails, we went, as we do every day, to The Coffee Room. How very French! Attached to the cafeteria is a separate room just for coffee. In it are some standing tables where you can be served an espresso or a tea, and a little bit of chocolate. Lunch is very leasurly here. In fact you can't get back into the training room without a badge before 2pm. I love it.
I went for a jog yesterday, its about 15 minutes to a small town center. Its very cute. It reminded me of Milford, New Jersey. Cute little shops and houses and people walking on the street. It was evening and just about everyone had a pair of bagguettes in a plastic bag. I assume they were walking home to dinner.
Not too many exciting France stories. Mainly I've just been learning software.
3 comments:
Oh Selah - I so wish I were there with you! Your description of the snails cracked me up. Oh btw - I think the Inca Trail might really happen! Talk to you soon:)
This is so stereotypical... I'm french and I've never been served snails in my entire life !
What can I say... France is living up to its stereotypes. And I'm glad for it. Six fresh snails on a piece of lettuce for appetizer, a separate room for espresso, all in a run-of-the-mill company cafeteria. Its funny AND tasty.
Post a Comment