I watched this with a bunch of the bar regulars. Keith the british Mechanic, Mark the British/Saudi Instrument Tech, Hamish a QC from New "Zed", Steve the Aussie Project Manager, and Aaron the ex-Utah Mormon Health and Safety guy. Mah'moud the Omani guy with camels I spoke of before was also in the bar that night.
We watched the scene where one of the guys dressed up (really convincingly) as an old man in running shorts who didn't realize his very saggy balls were hanging out the back. We watched the scene where two guys trap four of their friends in a car and then pour a hive of bees through the sunroof. Then we watched the scene where a couple guys pretend to be terrorists.
I started feeling bad when the "terrorist"'s white robe was an exact replica of Mah'moud's, and so was the head wrapping - the same red checkered pattern even. It got worse when the "terrorist" started saying stupid things in a goofy fake arabic accent, and then strapped a belt of fake bombs to his waist, and then asked his cab driver how big his wife's boobs were, etc...
The thing, is I know that image of an arabic terrorist. It comes from seeing Osama bin Laden on the news, angry Iraqis burning American flags, and guys here with long religious beards who because I'm female, won't aknowledge me or fix my air conditioner without being yelled at. It's frightening, its angering, and that's why it makes me laugh when all the seriousness has been taken away.
But last night, I imagined the very different image Mah'moud might have of an arabic man. That is the image of him, his friends, his brothers, his dad. I imagined nice gentle people who laugh a lot and love camels. Mah-moud's got a good deal of pride about his heritage. I've heard comments about how he really makes an effort to be a part of Bedouin life, which is tough when you're also employed by a multinational geophysical corporation.
It turns out he had seen the movie before, so I didn't have to feel that bad.
But the morals of the story are:
A) I still like Jackass, and I love that shit like Jackass exists in the US.
B) I am impressed by the new image of an Arabic man I have.

3 comments:
Best comment ever "I imagined nice gentle people who laugh a lot and love camels." I think if you love camels, than you probably have to also be able to laugh a lot :) Good to know that your worldly expereinces are making you a more compassionate kinda girl. Now, maybe you will accept me for me ;)
Frankly, what you've written concerning Mahmoud is a beautiful, spare evocation of the simple, fundamental realisation that inspires and informs real humanism and liberalism.
A beautiful sentiment. You make me proud.
Dad
Ha ha "nice gentle people..." and bunnyrabbits and butterflies and warm hugs. What can I say, my mind just thinks in exaggerated ways.
And thanks dad. That post certainly was dad bait!;) But its true too...so there.
Post a Comment